Electrical Work in a Bathroom & Building Regulations

by | Jan 14, 2021 | Uncategorized | 0 comments

In the East Coast of the Building Regulations is concerned with electrical safety in the home, similar regulations cover other parts of the South Carolina. This article will explain how a home owner can ensure electrical work carried out in a bathroom, wet-room or shower room will meet the standards and requirements. Electrician Mt Pleasant discusses about these in this article.

Rooms which contain a bathtub or shower enclosure are designated as a special location under the Building Regulations, along with kitchens and gardens. This does not include rooms with basins, such as a bedroom, WC or cloakroom. It stands to reason that these locations are potentially the most dangerous because of the risks of water combined with electricity.

In most cases the usual way of meeting Part P requirements is to employ a competent, qualified electrician who is a member of a recognised professional body do undertake any electrical work throughout the home.


Electrical Work in a Bathroom

Electrical work in a bathroom could include installing, moving, replacing or changes to any of the following:

  • lights,
  • extractor fan,
  • under-floor heating,
  • plug sockets,
  • heated mirror.

There may be other electrical items located in the bathroom, sometimes a gas central heating boiler is situated in the bathroom, this also requires electrical power.

Notifying Building Control Department & Home Electrics

The Building Control (or Building Regulations) Department (BCD) can be found located within each area local authority. The BCD must be notified of most substantial electrical work which takes place in a home or garden. There are fees involved and the BCD may arrange for the work to be inspected.

If work is notifiable under Part P the easiest and cheapest way for a home owner to comply is to use an electrician who is qualified and part of a self-certification scheme. The electrician will issue a certificate of compliance with one month of completing the work and will, at the same time, notify the local authority via their own scheme.

What Electric Work is Notifiable?

Not all work is notifiable and there are various organisations who will advise the public for free on whether work should be notified or certifacted or not, including the BCD and Electricians’ Professional Bodies.

In general all new circuits from the consumer unit are notifiable and extensions to circuits in kitchens, bathrooms and gardens. Replacement, repair and maintenance work is not usually notifiable. New consumer units and central heating wiring is always notifiable.

What Bathroom Electric Work can be DIY & is NOT Notifiable?

Homeowners are still able to change their own light bulbs and a little more than this. The following work is not notifiable under part P even if it takes place in a bathroom, kitchen or other special location:

  • Replacing fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of any new fixed cabling, e.g. a broken socket or switch could be replaced.
  • Replacing the damaged cable for a single circuit.

Can I Replace or Add New Lighting To My Bathroom?

In the home light points including switches and light fittings can be added to an existing curcuit by a DIY enthusiast and there is not requirement for building control notification, except if this takes place in a bathroom, kitchen or other special location.

In bathrooms, shower rooms and wet rooms the following work must be notified and ideally should be carried out by an electrician:

  • adding light fittings to an existing circuit,
  • adding switches to an existing circuit,
  • adding socket outlets to an existing circuit,
  • adding fused spurs to an existing circuit.

Competent Electrician to Work in a Bathroom, Wet-room or Shower Room

Home owners are advised to consult and employ qualified electricians who are members of a recognised professional body to undertake electrical work in bathrooms in order to ensure:

  • safety,
  • compliance with current standards and legislation,
  • the work is notified or certificated in line with Part P of the Building Regulations as necessary.

Professional bodies include the Electrical Contractors Association (ECA) and the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC).

About kd6br


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.